Dog Winter Wear: Make your Puppy ‘Winter Ready’
As a dog parent, you must be aware that dogs typically experience colder temperatures in winter than people do. Only with the right accessories can our furry friends stay warm and active during the winter.
In many places, the chill of the winter is starting to hit already, and while we search our closets and coat racks for parkas and other winter apparel, we often forget dogs also require dog clothing to keep them warm. Winter wear is necessary for all; in some circumstances, the added layer of warmth could be all you need!
Most dogs gain from an additional layer of weatherproofing in the appropriate circumstances. If you want to know more about your dog’s winter clothing, dive right into the article.
Does Your Dog Require a Dog hoodie or dog jacket?
A sweater can significantly improve the comfort level of your dog. In the winter, a hoodie or jacket can be useful, especially if your dog relieves himself outside in the snow. You must make sure to maintain the internal heating system of your home at a low setting and rely on blankets and sweaters.
Depending on their breed, size, and age, dogs may or may not be able to keep themselves warm physically. If they don’t have a thick coat of hair, there is only so much curling up he can do to keep warm. Lighter-bodied breeds and breeds with naturally short or thin hair coats benefit from wearing a warm dog sweater when he needs to go outside or just lounge about the house.
The Chihuahua, Greyhound, and several terriers and pinscher breeds are fine examples of dogs that would benefit from a little extra outer insulation. On the other hand, The Siberian Husky, Malamute, and Saint Bernard strains are all beautiful examples of dogs that are ideally suited to frigid conditions.
How to measure the right size?
The three most critical places to measure are the neck, the most significant part of the chest, and the distance from the neck to the tail. The lower bellow should be free because the sweater’s length should terminate at about the tail.
Knowing your dog’s weight can help you determine the appropriate size.
Dogs cannot, or should not, wear pants; instead, they should only wear sweaters and jackets. It nearly goes without saying, but we’ll mention it nevertheless.
Make sure there is movement freedom but not too much extra fabric around the neck and under the arms (the armpit area). Additionally, pick items that are simple to put on and take off. Avoid anything that requires you to battle with or pull too tightly over your dog’s head. Dog clothing is meant to make your dog look cute and stylish while also keeping them warm from the cold.
Additional Safety Tips
Winter might present some more puppy dangers aside from the severe weather. Keep these suggestions in mind to protect your pet:
- Due to snow and ice, which can obscure odours and prevent animals from using their noses to find their way home, many pets get lost during the winter. Ensure your dog is microchipped with your current information and has dog ID tags.
- If consumed, antifreeze can be lethal. Due to how sweet and delicious it is to animals, many of them will drink it. If you think your pet has consumed it, seek emergency medical attention right away.
- In any conditions, never leave your pet unattended in the car. Cold vehicles can be fatal, just as hot cars can cause heatstroke in dogs.
- If you reside in a region whereby blizzards and lane closures are frequent, make sure to keep a supply of dog food, water, and prescribed pet medications on standby for your animals at all times.
- You should never shave down your dog in the winter unless necessary. Their long, thick coats are essential for keeping them warm in the winter.
To Sum Up
As with our children, we should be accountable for the well-being and welfare of our pets. If you desire your dog to enjoy a long and fulfilling life, you must provide them with high-quality clothing, nutritious food, and accessories.
Here at Drippy pets we provide high-quality dog clothes and harnesses, beds and more for your four-legged friend. We’ve gathered the most stylish winter accessories for dogs of all types and sizes here at Drippy Pets. Explore our extensive selection to discover the ideal outfit for your fluffy companion.